Book Review: Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordon

Hey my lovelies! This weeks book review is Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordon. I apologize for not posting a review last week, but review's up until July will not be as frequent as normal due to my GCSE's and revision.

Title: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pub. Date: March 1st 2006
Date Read: May 4th 2015
Pages: 377
Rating:4.5/5 stars
Goodreads Summary: Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I originally expected, the reason I picked it up was because I watched both the Percy Jackson movie and wanted to know what happens after the second one ended. I now know from watching and reading the first one that they are nothing alike, although the outline is the same the plot in between is definitely not. Although I have to say I enjoyed both movie and the book.

Percy Jackson is a twelve year old boy, who gets thrust into the life of being a demigod, due to his father (which he has been estranged to all his life). When myths and magical creatures begin attacking him, whilst he is at boarding school. He is then sent to camp Half Blood, where he is faced with the task of finding out his true lineage and why the blame has been put on him for stealing the most powerful weapon of all, Zeus's lightning bolt.

Percy is a typical twelve year old, who sets his own goals rather than looking at the bigger picture (e.g his mum and the lightning bolt).

The plot is an overall amazing idea, I have to admit, I mean the Greek gods/goddesses have children with humans and save the world. Whats not to love? With the demigod children battling their parents enemies along the way.

I really liked Annabeth, she is probably my favourite character so far. Annabeth is the demigod daughter of Athena. Who she has only seen a few times in her young life. She has been waiting to be able to take on a quest, since her arrival at the camp and in the Lightning Thief, she finally has her chance too with Percy. 

To be more up to date on what I am reading and buying follow me on my twitter, instagram and Goodreads.
Previous Book Review: Last to Know by Micalea Smeltzer
Next Book Review: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monster by Rick Riordan
More book reviews.

EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: