Book Review: The Good Girls by Sara Shepard


Hey my lovelies, this weeks review is ofcause The Good Girls by Sara Shepard. This review has been a long time coming as I did purchase the book in August last year, so after taking almost eight months to read it, i finally have and chosen to review it. You can check out my review of the first book in the Perfectionists duology here, please be warned that this does contain spoilers for the Perfectionists.
Title: The Good Girls
Author: Sara Shepard
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pub. Date: June 2nd 2015
Date Read:Sunday 20th March 2016
Pages: 368
Rating:4/5 stars
SummaryFrom Sara Shepard, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Pretty Little Liars series, comes the shocking sequel to The Perfectionists—with an ending you’ll have to read to believe!

Mackenzie, Ava, Caitlin, Julie, and Parker have done some not-so-perfect things. But even though they all talked about killing rich bully Nolan Hotchkiss, they didn’t actually go through with it. It’s just a coincidence that Nolan died in exactly the way they planned . . . right? Except Nolan wasn’t the only one they fantasized about killing. When someone else they named dies, the girls wonder if they’re being framed. Or are they about to become the killer’s next targets?

Overview


The first thing I would like to say is that Sara Shepard has actually wrote a book series that only has two books. Two books! As soon as I heard there was this series, I knew I had to pick it up, especially after absolutely loving the Lying Game series, even if for me it did drag on a bit for the last novel, but that was mainly because I couldn't wait to find out how everyone would react to Emma's reveal. Anyway back to The Good Girls.....

To be honest I'm not sure if I liked the overall ending of the book, as it not necessarily been better, but it could have been more complex. Maybe I'm just saying this because I guessed the big plot twist of the novel in the Perfectionists, but I just wanted to be kept guessing more, although i do admit that there were a few plot twists in the duology which I didn't expect e.g Mr Granger's death. 

The girls


Caitlyn, realizes after dumping her boyfriend for his younger brother in the last book, that maybe the grass isn't always greener and if you truly do want a relationship to work, you must work at it and make compromises especially if your partner doesn't always have the same interests that you do. 

Mac seems very naive to me, as she still tries to be friends with Claire, the girl who got her boyfriend to pretend to like Mac in order to make her fail. I understand why she did what she did at the end, but through out she seemed very needy as she was also always thinking about Claire's now ex-boyfriend. 

Ava soon realizes that she has to be careful what she says to people, as not everyone has your best intentions at heart. You get more of a feel of her relationship with her father and step mum, and as she tries to figure out if it was really her boyfriend who killed Nolan and Mr Granger. 

Then you have Julie, Julie has a lot of mental issues that she has to deal with, from the anxiety of getting over what everyone is saying about her due to Ashley to her mums hoarding, as well as a few of her own issues.

Parker, wasn't really in the Good Girls that much due to her becoming more of a supporting character of Julie, although she did have more scenes towards the end. 

Conclusion


My favourite part of the book is most likely the last chapter of the book, i'm not sure why, but I just really like the idea of certain characters getting a happy ending, even if their happy ending is for a serial killer. Overall I think it was a satisfying duology and I'm incredibly glad that it was not dragged out for another 10 books. Although even if it was a ten book series, I would still probably buy and read it all due to Shepard's fantastic writing. 

Thank you for reading my lovelies, this is it for this week, if you would like to see more of what I am currently reading you can check me out on GoodreadsInstagram and Twitter

Next Book Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
EnglishBlonde
x


0 comments: