Book Review : Angelfall by Susan Ee

Book Review : Angel Fall by Susan Ee
image

Hey my lovelies, I have decided to take a different turn for this weeks book review and this is going to be the first one under this new styling. Due to me reading this in ebook format there will only be the stock images, although similar to last Fridays review I am going to add pictures when I buy it as I have added it to my amazon basket. Although I am sad to find out it does not have a hardcover edition and the only one I can find is in German and I was never good at that In school. BRING OUT A HARDCOVER!
So I am going to review Angel Fall by Susan Ee for my fourth review of the year.



My first impression of the book was that the cover seemed incredibly girly with the pink tone and the title ‘Angelfall’ ugh even more girly. For a book that I have heard so much about the badassery about the first impression does not give you that. And then the name of the series ‘Penryn & the end of days’ really, really? That itself sounded childish, but I still decided to read the book figuring that it was the same old post-apocalyptic novel. Except this one was different the villains were not zombies or some sort of deadly disease. This was angels. Not the sweet guardian angels made by God that you imagine, no but they still have the huge white wings only they steal children, hello here I’m thinking it is basically ‘it’ but instead of clowns its good looking angels. And holy **** this book got good, hell of a lot better than I thought it would, If you haven’t read this book, stop reading this review and go buy it and read it now and then come back and read the review and send me a message about what you think. Because seriously it is amazing and after reading it, it makes the name of the book and series hell of a lot better, get it, get it, okay.

The Characters
I loved Penryn how she was well put together but you can tell that sometimes she just wanted to break, but she kept it together so she could find her sister. I liked the fact that she could kickass and did not care who she was up against from angels to humans. I liked Raffe and how he was so secretive about who he really was and his overall attitude towards everything he does. Even after what happened to him. Penryns mother was incredibly complex, she never seemed to put any blame upon her self, even when she went in her crazy modes. It was always Penryns fault, but it was even stranger when she went into mother mode, which left you with a lot of questions.
Goodreads Plot
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
The plot *Spoilers onwards*
The plot of Angelfall is basically Penryn, her mother and sister are livng in a world which six weeks ago was attacked by angels. They want to try and get away from it all and change where they were living. Only whilst they are on the run trying to get to the forrest they discover a angel getting attacked. There due to her bat**** crazy mother they are discovered and the angels turn on them. Her mum disappears and her little sister is taken by the angels. Once they have left she takes hostage the injured angel to try and find out where they have taken her sister and how to get her back. This is when she discovered her mum is also missing. Then she fixes up the angel who agrees to help her as he is in debt to her. They then find a refugee camp, get attacked by some creatures, find little girls hung with their bottom halves knawed off and they infiltrated aussie the angel headquarters in San francisco all to save her sister.

I really enjoyed the fact that there was no romance in this, sure there was the moments when they both found each other attractive, but there was no ‘I love yous’ or the traditional ‘come back to me’ you seem to find a lot these days in dystopian novels. There was even the forbidden aspect of it as it is illegal in the angel world to have sex or marry humans due to the chance of making Nephilim the half human/half angel creatures that are disastrous and is actually Raffes job to hunt them down. But still no romance, which is the first time I think I have ever said this. Though I do believe they have the potential to become romantic, which could possibly happen in the next to novels. As I literally read this last night in three hours and finished at 3am, I am writing this review at 9:50am on 17th January 2015, due to as soon as I a have finished writing this I am going to read World After. The reason for the wait is that I don’t want my views on World After to influence this. But I am incredibly excited and the final book in the trilogy comes out in May!
Questions from AngelFall
Why did Penryns father leave? Was it before or after the apocalypse? Why did the sword change loyalties to Penryn from Raffe? Why did Raffe leave the angels? Why did the angels want revenge against Raffe? What is wrong with Penryns mum? How did her mum get to aussie? What did the angels do to Penryns sister? 

Also on Goodreads [x]
Next book review : World After by Susan Ee comes out on the 30th January 2015
More Book Reviews : [x]
English Blonde
x

0 comments: