Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


Hey my lovelies! This weeks book review is ... Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I picked this up a few weeks ago, but was put off reading it due to seeing some of my favourite reviewers talking about how much they didn't like it. As I'm currently in a reading slump, I figured I would give it a shot and boy am I glad I did. I really enjoyed this book, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be about, but it was awesome! I rate it a full 5 stars on goodreads. BEWARE THIS REVIEW DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Pub. Date: February 10th 2015
Date Read: May 2015
Pages: 383
Rating:5/5 stars
Summary: The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Red Queen. Red Queen. Where to start, Basically our main character Mare lives in a red village with her disabled father, mother and seamstress younger sister. She has grown up her entire life knowing that when she turns eighteen she will be forced into the army, where her three older brothers already are. Knowing this she steals whatever she can to help her family get by, as they are living in poverty.

In the red queen world there are two different types of people. The silvers and the reds. The silvers have special abilities where they powers like fire and stuff and reds don't have powers. They are like ordinary humans. I know a lot of people have mentioned how they didn't like the world building, but I have to admit I really liked it. For me I have a clear picture on what is happening and where is where.

The silvers have a very twisted sense of reality, they all believe that due to their special abilities, they are much better than any of the reds. So due to this they make the red's do all of the jobs that they don't want, for example; the reds are beggers and merchants, whilst the silvers are generals and all of the important people who go to war for only a short period of time, but take all the credit for what the reds do. As mentioned in the book, one of the highest ranking jobs for reds that are close to the silvers, is a seamstress. As they will get to work with all the crystals and pretty materials that the silvers wear. Which is what Mare's sister is and this makes Mare incredibly jealous of her sister.

So weeks before her eighteenth birthday, her best friend Kilhorn loses his job as an apprentice and is told he must got to war. Angry with this, she travels to where her little sister works (with the silvers) and attempts stealing some stuff, so she can pay to get the money to run away, but gets stopped when news of a rebellion of the reds hit the market. Then all of the silvers start attacking the reds and her sister's arm gets broken in the process.

Angry with herself for getting her little sister hurt, she goes out to pick pocket, where she meets a guy. She tells him all of her woes and then leaves. The next day she finds out she has been requested to have a job at the palace, meaning she won't have to go to war.

Mare was a good point of view, for me she was similar to Penryn (Angelfall), as she was incredibly sarcastic and witty. She often spoke out of turn and strives to get what she wants, doing almost anything to get it.

Maven was a bit too perfect, handsome, has a similar complex to Mare(is the shadow to their siblings flame). He seemed to get on really well with Mare, almost too well if you ask me.

The Queen seemed like a major bitch at the beginning, then I started to like her, especially the way she acted with Maven. And then by the end of the book I didn't like her again. Elara is a true silver through and through.

Is it wrong that I kind off enjoyed Evangeline? Even if she was a complete bitch through most of it, i still liked her.

As the book went through you could see the characters forget that Mare was a red and treat her as if she was a silver and then even going as far as slagging them off in front of her. So basically Mare then has to deal with the life of a silver princess, as she falls for her future brother in law, conspires to overthrow the silvers, has to deal with her abilities and keep people from finding out what she really is.

The betrayal was sort of expected, now I look back on the book there was a lot of hints from major characters that Mare trusted and I'm guessing when I reread this I am going to feel silly for not realising it. Overall though I really enjoyed and definitely recommend that you read it. If you've read it, what do you think? Did you enjoy the book as much as I did?

Next Book Review: End of Days by Susan Ee
EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: