Book Review: Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer

Hey my lovelies, this weeks review is Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer. Life and Death is basically twilight with all of the characters gender swapped (with the exception of Charlie and Renee, and by extension Phil). This concept really intrigued me, I didn't understand how she was going to change characters back stories, for example in the original twilight series, the reason that Rosalie disliked Bella so much was due to her inability to have children, which happened when she was gang raped by her fiance and his friends, being left for dead. Until of cause Carlisle found her and turned her into a vampire. How was a male vampire going to create the same amount of sympathy as that?


Title: Life and Death
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Atom
Pub. Date: October 6th 2015
Date Read:  27th June 2016
Pages: 389
Rating:3.9/5 stars
Goodreads Summary: Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer. Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover "flip book," this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.

I'm not going to lie I did enjoy this book, however I do have some complaints about it. Mainly due to me getting quite bored in the middle of the book, as I felt as if I knew what was going to happen, and just wanted it to hurry up, so I could see how the end turns out and how Stephenie Meyer would have alternatively ended the first book and how she was going to shorten the twilight saga into one book. And due to this it did take me awhile to get through as I couldn't get back into the book after setting it down for a few hours. Currently, I am really not a fan of insta-love, its just not something I enjoy reading, even though this could be classed as unfair as a lot of people did complain of twilight having this problem, however it has been a while since I last read it and at least that did have four books centering around Bella and Edward, so we did see their romance developing. Also, Beau did come across incredibly feminine at times, and I did find myself forgetting that I was reading a male point of view.

I liked that it was shorter and had the alternate ending to the twilight saga (however it would have gone into a whole different world if it had the original ending), as I feel like that made it not seem a way that Stephenie Meyer could get some money in ten years after the original came out. Personally, I much prefer twilight, but even though it is a retelling I tried not to compare it much, as in order to enjoy this you have to look at it with a fresh set of eyes, but still remembering the good parts about it. I also really liked the way that it made me reminisce moments from the original series and the films. I loved some of the character names though, like Royal for Rosalie, this suited her so well, however I did prefer her original back story.  

Recommend...

I would recommend this to any twilight fans out there, or vampire fans in general if you have yet to read the original twilight saga. (Seems impossible in my head that people haven't read the book, however it has now been over ten years since it came out, so the generation after me aka my sisters generation, not many of them have actually read them.)

Purchase Links


Thank you for reading my lovelies, this is it for this week, if you would like to see more of what I am currently reading you can check me out on GoodreadsInstagram and Twitter

Previous Book Review: Zero by Morgan Dark
Next Book Review: Falter Kingdom by Michael J Seidlinger
EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: