Book Review: End of Days by Susan Ee


Hey my lovelies! Guess what I received in the post last week? The one and only End of Days by the fabulous Susan Ee. I am absolutely in love with her writing, it took me four days to finally pick up this book after receiving it, as I just didn't want this series to end. I rated this 5 stars on Goodreads, but would rate it a 4.75 in real life due to a few unanswered questions and one confusing moment in the book.

Title: End of Days
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Skyscape
Pub. Date: May 12th 2015
Date Read: May 23rd 2015
Pages: 344
Rating: 4.75/5 stars
Goodreads Summary: After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

If you have not read any books in the Penryn and the End of Days series yet I suggest reading my review on Angelfall and World After before reading this review. This review up until the spoilers below point, will have spoilers for the previous books.

My first impression of the books cover was confusion. The Angelfall book has pink segments, but is mainly black overall. World After if predominately dark blue, but End of Days is a golden/yellow colour and it makes the spines look as if they don't match properly, which I admit I was a bit disappointed with, but it still pretty overall. I know it doesn't really have anything to do with the books content, but it matters to me.

Spoilers Below
End of Days starts of where World After left off. Penryn is in Raffe's arms and they are flying with Paige to get away from the Angels. Then we meet this white Locust, who Beliel made to be the leader of all the locusts. Beliel is the one if you don't remember who stole Raffes wings at the beginning of Angelfall. Then Paige and this white locust have a mental battle for power over the other locusts and all but three or four leave with the white locust.


There was only one part of the book that I didn't really like. I didn't like it when Raffe and Penryn traveled down to hell through Beliel, I admit I got a bit confused especially at Beliel being there already, but then we found out that time goes a lot faster on Earth than it does in the pits. Which sort of makes sense. But not completely, as when the watchers were freeed and went back to Earth, they still had battered wings and physical differences from the other angels. So how did Beliel's eyes heal and why did he not recognise Penryns voice. As I think I would remember if the person who freed everyone but me was in front of me, I believe I would recognise the voice.

After getting back to Earth, the watchers give Beliel a proper Angel burial, which sounded very pretty to be quite honest and they leave without Penryn to go to this trial for who is going to become the new messenger of God. Soon after them leaving Penryn receives a message that the way the angels are deciding is by doing a blood hunt. So the angels must kill as many as they can to win, and the group of angels that kills the most, their leader becomes the arch angel. Which is when Penryn realises that she told Raffe, where all the refugees and the resistance are holding up and that she has basically told him where a bunch of humans are that they can kill. Realising that she must save them, the three of them (Penryn, her mum and Paige) go to the resistance and find it has already been attacked and half of the fighters are gone due to a fire that the angels have started at the other end of the city to try to herd the humans to one end of the city, so there will be one large group of humans to kill.

When Penryn gets back to the resistence camp she finds Obi dying and he gives her the power of being the resistance leader. After finding out that most of the resistance army is either dead or seriously hurt due to the fire, Penryn and Dee-Dum decide to save all of the innocents who are trying to get off and leave by boat, so to do this they try


At the show the San Francisco Ballet, or the remaining people of it anyway, do a performance and during the performance one of its lost members join them. Which reinforces the hope that people can survive in a apocalyptic world in a similar way that Clara's story did World After. It was really nice to have that parallel in there.

I have to admit, I did have my doubts towards the end of the book, as it really did look like she wasn't gonna make it and there would be some sort of face off between her and Raffe. But I am happy to say there wasn't there was a nice happy ending and I am really sad that this story had to end.

Unanswered Questions
If you know the answer to any of these questions, please comment or contact me in some way, as I would love to find out the answers.

  • Where is Penryn's dad? After Penryn and Paige talking about him, I did expect to see him at some point. Otherwise I am assuming he is dead.
  • What happened to Paige? I really hoped this question was going to be answered and I was a bit gutted, when we got to the end and we never found out. 
  • Was Penryns mum really crazy? As she knew all about the rotten eggs, which we found out worked, but was she really crazy or did she just have more of an understanding?
  • Is God real?
  • Did angel Gabriel ever really talk to God?
That is it for today guys! If you want to keep more up to date on what I am reading follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads.
Next Book Review: The Sham by Ellen Allen
EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: